Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The gadget generation: A curse or a blessing?

Well I don’t know if being in the gadget generation is a curse or a blessing because when I see kids very much hooked to the tablets, mobiles and gadgets; I remember how naïve and undemanding a generation we were. Try to notice while shopping the number of kids holding technology gadgets. It is not that I am judging or blaming parents for doing so, I do the same unfortunately. But what to do; this is my only way to take both kids out and keep them entertained.

I was taken by wonder when I found my babies starting to get hooked to technology ever since they were a couple of months old. After they were one year they started to show interest in holding a tablet themselves which was when we got the first one. I always criticized parents who get their kids gadgets at an early age (by early age I was referring to primary grade) but I found myself unconsciously doing the same where now we have two tablets and we are only 2 years old. Easier said than done!

There is a good side of technology where it comes in handy when you go out, they can keep kids amused. Also we always download educational applications and games to start learning their alphabets and numbers. But being so hooked to technology is not healthy for the kids. I have read that we must limit the hours our kids get exposed to technology be it a tablet, mobile or even a TV. Doctors say the more kids get exposed to these things, the more they get alert and hence the tougher it is for them to fall asleep properly at night.

My whole purpose of this post is not only to say what I feel but to tell you about an experiment that I made and worked wonders with me. 3 months ago my kids used to sleep after 1 a.m. which was something I hated. Knowing that the earlier the TV is turned off, the earlier they will fall asleep, I got rid of the habit of having the TV voice always in the background. I started to have a deadline after which no TV nor tablet is turned on at home. Guess what; every I week I turned it a little earlier and accordingly they started to enter bed now around 10 p.m. or slightly after that. For me this is much of an improvement as it took around 2 months only to try to adjust this bad habit so I wanted to share this as I have tried it and I can personally guarantee it is magic. Good night <3

No comments:

Post a Comment