Monday, April 21, 2014

Some tips if you decide to work from home

1- Allocate few hours a day for your work. Try to make some of those while kids are asleep. Don’t do all the work while they are around because you will end up being frustrated for not being able to concentrate. Also you might get angry with them and they don’t have a clue that you need to focus on something other than them.

2- Have a special table / desk for your work where you create a mini office environment. Not only will it encourage you to work, but also will be very convenient when you actually sit and try to get in the mood of doing something other than nappy change. On this table I have placed my laptop, an artificial plant, a cup holding all my pens, another for my highlighters, and a couple of notebooks.

3- Try to arrange and plan your house duties; be as efficient as possible with your house chores as this will give you more time for the kids and your work. Efficiency is of utmost importance given the fast paced life we are leading.

4- Never let your kids feel you’re with them physically not emotionally. Sometimes they call me and I notice that I don’t give the needed attention because I am concentrating on what I am writing. So they would keep calling, only when I go to them and look and talk and maybe appraise what they did, will they leave me and consider their mission accomplished.

5- Don’t let people feedback get you down. Sometimes you will get comments like “how can you do it”, “hope this is not affecting your kids”, “Don’t overdo it” and the list goes on. It is normal and expected but don’t let that make you feel guilty or upset. Don’t let comments like these bog you down or make feel selfish. You are a super mom for doing both things. You chose to leave you career behind, be a stay at home mom and do what it takes to be successful on both sides.

6- Juggle among tasks; I find it challenging but thrilling that in the midst of writing something I can go feed my kids. Maybe later while I am sitting reading something, I can go do the laundry. You are constantly doing a lot of unrelated tasks. The key to enjoy it and not be overwhelmed is to prioritize and have a to-do list daily.

7- Keep the kids happily busy when they are awake. Sometime when I have an important work task to finish, I give them a new toy or open them a new cartoon on TV so that don’t even notice I am busy. It is nice and it helps that you don’t feel guilty about your work.

8- Keep your home organized for when it is neat and clean it will greatly affect the wellbeing of your kids and accordingly your life, productivity and work progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment