Monday, April 28, 2014

Don’t forget to have fun

More often than not we tend to only talk about the burdens of having kids and look at the kids as mere responsibility. While it is true that they are a huge responsibility (no doubt about that) and yes they pose some pressure on their parents but we tend to forget to celebrate the fun part of having kids. Which I believe is a reason why we scare mom-to-be from the motherhood experience. When I gave birth I used to feed the kids, change their diapers, shower them and put them to sleep so my mom always told me “don’t act like a robot, a mother is not supposed to only feed and shower her kids, you are meant to spend time with them, be close to them, talk to them, sing to them and so on” she says.

It is true I guess I only started to enjoy having my twins only recently. I spend more time with them, I try to talk, laugh, sing and play. It is so nice how they get happy from the simplest silliest acts you do. It only shows how you mean the world to them. They really appreciate being with you and spending time with you. Ideas like the reading alphabet books, singing the nursery rhymes, bed time stories and coloring are ones of many examples of how to spend time with your kids (Am talking about my kids’ age; two year old). Of course each age has its own ways of engagement and interaction. The point remains to be to try to spend time with them in a way that suits their age.

A couple of weeks ago I introduced the coloring crayons to my babies and they are loving it. They are still two years so they just take it and play round with it or just draw lines on blank paper. Today I sat with them on their table and kept drawing them things they asked for like a boy, a house, a car, a tree, a flower, a fish, a star and so on. Then I colored it with them, it made me feel I am in a very different world, for a moment I felt that I am disconnected from the pressuring life we are living in. I also felt great joy seeing them excited and happy with the coloring experience that I chose few papers that I will share with them when they grow old to cherish the memory of it. I guess we spent more than an hour like this and I am definitely going to repeat it soon but I felt it was so rewarding to the three of us, that’s why I felt like sharing it.

For every mother who is only keen on doing the mom tasks, I encourage you to think out of the box in order to spend more fun time with your kids. Make them a simple toy with your own hands, build them a house with Lego, hold their dolls and try to make an act with them. Very simple silly things will translate into big happy moments and unforgettable memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment