Saturday, April 26, 2014

De-clutter your life

While for many people this is a punishment; for me arranging things is beyond my passion. I enjoy it so much to the extent that I want to create this profession in life, where I go de-clutter people’s rooms and drawers and get paid by hour. I can safely say it is one of my hobbies when I get bogged down; it makes me happy and more relaxed. Ever since I was young, my happiest day was when I tell my mother “today I will arrange these drawers or these shelves”. She used to act like "you don’t need to" but I know she loves it also. Although she is super clean, de-cluttering the house was for her overwhelming.

Today I decided to tell you some tips on how you can de-clutter your house. You can arrange it the way you want. Maybe you do it room by room, maybe you do all drawers in one day and all the shelves in another, all the bathrooms in one day. No matter how you divide the house, everyone does it the way she wants. Just keep in mind that you need two boxes where ever you are; one box for trash and one box for giveaways or donations.

1- Take the decision: Usually if everything is in place, you can take this decision once in every couple of years. But if you can’t keep things in place then you might to do regular de-cluttering activities.

2- Prepare two boxes one for garbage and one for donations: This way when you approach any place to de-clutter you will have the things you will keep which will go back to the drawer or shelf, the things you will throw away and the things that are in a good shape but not needed.

3- Start filtering out everything one by one: Get rid of the habit of collecting stuff. If there are cosmetics, ensure you throw away the expired ones. If these are pens try them, you will find many of them are not suitable for use already. If these are accessories, I can assure you that you are not using maybe half of them.

4- Clean the shelves and drawers: These drawers and shelves more often than not collect dust due to the presence of many small scattered items in them. So in order to ensure the de-cluttering process is done properly, you need to totally empty them, clean those in the suitable way then re arrange the items you decided to keep.

5- Put something that help you better with the arrangement: These can include drawer separators, plastic baskets, plastic boxes, jars, empty cups or even colored buckets. The purpose is to arrange the stuff / items in a way that makes it easier to quickly find anything even if you are in a hurry. The way you separate things not only makes it look neater but also manageable. Lastly whenever you want to clean this drawer or shelf any time soon, you will only need to move out a couple of plastic containers, clean and take them back rather than having items scattered all over.

6- Maintain that for as long as you can: Never let things pile up again. This is easier than you think. Leave one piece of paper on the eating table and you will find the table turned into an office by the end of that week.

7- Clean regularly

No comments:

Post a Comment